Saturday, July 18, 2009

What you should be reading if you don't already


Entertainment Weekly!
It has moved up to my #1 favorite magazine to read in the bathroom. I would read it normally too, of course, but I always like a "light" read in there so I save it for that occasion.

My mom subscribed to it before I did and to be honest, I don't know why, but I didn't like it that much at first. Probably because I didn't fully understand the type of magazine it was and didn't give the articles a chance. But now, I absolutely love it and here's why:

Sure, there are a few interviews with celebrities and blah blah blah, but it mainly focuses on behind the scenes aspects and that's why I love it. It gives you a different view of entertainment; not the glitz and glamour, but the fears and hopes. Not to mention the hows and whys (e.g., "How did this movie end up doing so well?" "Why did they push the release date of this movie back six months?) and the ifs, whens, and buts (e.g., "Is there going to be a sequel to this movie? And if so, does the production company believe the movie will do well?").

It's a magazine I've genuinely learned to appreciate. Most of the articles are more about the directors, screenwriters, and marketing of movies than about the celebrities which star in them. Several book and music reviews are thrown in as well. And the articles are really well written (funny, smart, good insight) with contributions even from Stephen King and Diablo Cody. It's not often you find a magazine with content that truly lives up to its' title, but EW does just that--entertainment in small, weekly doses.

No comments: