Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Watchmen


So Watchmen is out on DVD. I'd have to say the Amazon Exclusive Director's Cut version is pretty cute. It comes with a Nite Owl ship DVD case! Awww *pet pet*

Anyway, I know people didn't really like the movie. And I guess I'm going to have to agree. After reading the graphic novel, I wasn't really sure how well it would translate to film. But to be honest, the movie DID stick pretty damn close to the novel (except the end, which I thought was a good move). Perhaps, as some critics believe, a little too much. So I can't say I totally hated the movie because they did a good job staying true. But like many novels turned into films, perhaps it was always best for the story to stay on paper.

Anyway, I do have a point and it's this: read the graphic novel. The novel is really good. I don't want people to be turned off by it just because the movie wasn't the best. And I know the ending is a little WTF, but I think the story isn't really the main focus. It's more just a vessel to show what the novel is truly about--the characters and their history. And Watchmen has some amazing, complex characters! My favorite. Perhaps I need to broaden my literary horizon, but in my opinion, Watchmen has a few of the most well-constructed characters I have ever read about (I wasn't too crazy about the young Nite Owl and Silk Spectre II, but the rest... :).

So if you haven't already, give it a chance and read it. You will see how much more Rorschach comes to life!

No comments: