Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Pop stars--A dying breed

Michael Jackson (looking somewhat normal)

Unless you're a die hard fan, I'm like most people--not sad that MJ died, but shocked. MJ has been around for a long time. And for me, he's been around since I was born and was possibly the first celebrity I recognized, which makes it weird to know that he's gone. Of course, I knew he would die at one point, but I guess celebrities seem so distant and out of reach that I never think about their deaths until it happens.

But what I'm even more sad about is what MJ represented. A pop star of MJ's calibur is a dying breed and it saddens me. With increasingly diverse music genres and subgenres, there may never be another Elvis or Michael Jackson again. And once Madonna's gone, will any singer really be a household name?

Come to think of it, the 80's was possibly the last decade which had a distinct style of music and clothing. I can't really narrow down the way we dress now or in the 90's to such distinct elements as the 80's--neon, tights, jean jackets, big (and horrible) hair... It's great that fashion and music are branching off and people applaud uniqueness a lot more than they did in the past, but it's still a bit sad to know there may never be such a huge star again.

Sorry Kanye!

No comments: